Search This Blog

Friday, March 18, 2011

Defining who I am

Stay-at-home-dad who is a writer. That sentence defines who I am. Let's look at it: Stay-at-home definitely implies that I never leave the house. Well, that's not true. Just not during the day... Then we have dad. This one is easy. I am a dad. I have three wonderful children who I adore and love to death. Sometimes, I want to strangle them. But I don't, because I'm not psychotic. Who refers to whom the sentence is referring to: Me. A grown up child who acts like a Dad as his  environment dictates it. Is a writer... I don't always act like one, but I am a writer by society's standards. I type and scribble, therefore I am... a writer!

If we put it all together, we have the following:
A semi-agoraphobic hermit, grown up child cares for his children who he adores most of the time and despises the rest, pretends to work from home as a writer because periodically he types gibberish into a word processor and scribbles ideas on memo pads.

Whew. How's that for self-actualization!
ZD

No comments:

Post a Comment