Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

Mr. Momday/UPDATE

Well, my days as a stay-at-home-dad are numbered.
That's right,  I will no longer be able to compare myself to Michael Keaton's character in Mr. Mom. Of course, I know I'm still better looking, and I'm not the bumbling idiot he portrayed in the movie! With that stated, I had a second interview that just changed everything for me. And I must say, it's bittersweet. I love being home with the kids, and I am trying to make it a reality where I can stay home and generate an income. Even when I go back to work outside of the home, I will still be working on coming back to being a stay-at-home-dad. That's right, you read it here, I actually want to keep doing this. As soon as it's lucrative to do so, I'll return home. And stay home.

So for a while, I'll just be another opinionated father/husband/writer, ranting and raving about everything, anything and nothing. This Mr. Momday post will continue, and it will probably float around the week. And fret not, there may be longer breaks between posts because I am in the middle of packing and moving. After the first of the month, things should settle down and I'll be back to semi-regular posts, probably three a week. Maybe more if I'm feeling frisky!

Today was a strange day. Kid A was off from school for Presidents' Day. We spent the first half of the day packing up the playroom. Let me tell you, packing toys with kids is fun. Believe it or not, amidst the Don't throw that out (Kid B to me),  Are you packing or playing? (me to Kid A and B), and the various noises from Kid C we actually manage to get about three quarters of the room done. Then, since it was such a nice day out, they went outside. It was the first nice day of pre-Spring, hopefully an omen of good weather to come!


Suburbia really isn't that bad.
I had my first taste of the neighborhood as a dad today. Everyone was out. All of the kids were playing up and down the street. And I didn't freak out. I left my OCD, phobias of lunatic neighbors and strangers, and the rest of my neurosis inside. Kid C and I took a walk; I pushed him in his umbrella stroller, up and down the street until he fell asleep. Kid A played with his friends, Kid B tagged along, and they both made some new friends along the way. It's a shame we're moving. Oh well, they can always come back to play with their friends, and vice versa. Thankfully, we're not moving far away... I'm sure the new neighborhood will be just as friendly.

The new house awaits.
The view from the back.


Do you think we overdid it?
Ok, so the pics above are really of Marc Ecko's place in Bernardsville. Regardless, I am really looking forward to moving and finally putting real roots down. The kids will have their own rooms. I'll have my own space, even though I have to make it myself in the two-car garage. The kids will also have a playroom. Finally, a place we can call our own!

No comments:

Post a Comment